Already an owner and looking for support? Go here to check out our knowledge base.
- How do I get my documents off my device?
- Whenever the Freewrite is connected via Wi-Fi, it automatically syncs your documents to your Postbox account. You can access your documents by logging into your Postbox at any time. Postbox can also be integrated with cloud services for easier access. You can also connect your Freewrite to your computer and download your documents directly, without an internet connection.
- What cloud services are supported?
- At this time, we support Google Drive, Evernote, and Dropbox. More options are coming soon!
- I don't trust my documents in the cloud. Can I still use the Freewrite?
- Yes, of course. You will have to go through a clumsy process that requires you to directly connect the Freewrite to your computer, but yes, it is possible to use the Freewrite completely cloud-free. However, there is a better way! Using the cloud is one of the things that makes the Freewrite (and this age of computing) really awesome.
- What if I am not connected to Wi-Fi?
- Don't worry, your work is always saved on the device via onboard storage. We designed the Freewrite to be functional with or without an internet connection so you can be anywhere and write. Everything gets synced the next time you connect to Wi-Fi.
- Can I print directly from my device?
- There is a dedicated 'Send' button on the Freewrite that will send an email with a pdf (or text file) of the current document to the logged in user. It can be configured for a number of different tasks, including printing (coming in a future firmware update). Print jobs are simultaneously emailed to you as a PDF attachment (useful for quickly sharing drafts with writing peers!).
- What file format does the Freewrite save into?
- Files are saved in plain text format for maximum reliability, minimal file size, and longest anticipated support life.
- What type of Wi-Fi authentication methods does the Freewrite support?
- The Freewrite does not support WEP authentication because it is an outdated and insecure standard. It also is not able to connect when browser confirmation is required like in a hotel or at an airport. Typical networks using WPA2 authentication are recommended.
E Ink Screen
- What is an E Ink screen?
- An E Ink screen, or electronic paper screen, is a display that mimics the appearance of ordinary ink on paper. Unlike conventional backlit LCD screens emit light; electronic paper displays reflect light like paper. By reflecting light, they have superior readability outdoors and incredible viewing angles. E Ink screens also have low power usage, contributing to the Freewrite’s long battery life.
- How big is the E Ink screen on the Freewrite?
- The writing canvas on the Freewrite is roughly 5.5” diagonally.
- Can I change the font size of the displayed text?
- Yes, you are able to change the font size of the displayed text on the writing canvas. This is useful for those of us that need larger fonts for readability or want a tiny font for maximum words on a page.
- Does the E Ink screen have a front light?
- Yes, the Freewrite E Ink screen does have a front light which enables you to work on your documents any time of the day. Dont worry though, you can always turn off the front light if you find it bothers you or your eyes!
- What is a mechanical keyboard?
- Most keyboards today are using the lowest cost technology which utilizes a rubber membrane over a circuit board. The keys depress the rubber membrane onto the circuit board thus making the connection to signal that the key has been pressed. This type of keyboard is very simple to make, but it can also feel a bit mushy. It also doesn't allow the user to feel the key engage before it hits the bottom of the circuit board. Compared to a 'mechanical keyboard' like the one used in the Freewrite, you get a totally different experience. On our mechanical keyboards, each key is its own individual switch with a mechanical engagement mechanism. We use a special type of switch called Cherry MX Browns because they’re designed to give you an incredibly tactile experience. The switches are also designed to last an incredible 50,000,000 key presses. They are made in Germany and they are the best in the world.
- What are ANSI & ISO keyboards?
- Keyboards around the world have two standardized physical layouts: ANSI, used in the U.S. primarily and ISO, used everywhere else. The good news is that we will be shipping Freewrites with both layouts. Prior to check out, you will be asked which format you would like to purchase. If you would like to see pictures of the different keyboards, check out our support page: Freewrite Physical Keyboard Layout: ANSI v. ISO.
- Where are the arrow keys?
- The short answer is that there are no arrow keys. The Freewrite was designed from the ground up to fit into a routine that many writers find critical to their workflow: separate drafting and editing sessions. First, write a draft, going from start to finish. Then, review and make edits later. Editing is limited on the device because the intention is to keep the user moving forward. Yes, there is a backspace key but that is it. Maximum writing output is the defined goal. Fortunately, the addition of cloud syncing on the Freewrite enables you to move from composition to editing with ease. After finishing a draft, simply open up your computer and all of your work is automatically synced and ready to be opened in your editing program of choice.
Charging & Battery
- How long does the battery last?
- The Freewrite will last between 3-4 weeks with normal usage, which we define as 30 minute of writing per day, with Wi-Fi turned off.
- How do I charge the device?
- The Freewrite has a standard USB Type-C port, just like the one on the Macbook and other new electronics. You will be able to use any of the standard USB chargers that you have lying around to charge the Freewrite.
- How long does it take to charge the Freewrite?
- The internal battery will fully charge in approximately 3 hours.
- What color Freewrites are available?
- You can have any color you want as long as it is black! At this time we are only making black Freewrites.
- How heavy is the Freewrite?
- The Freewrite is about 4lbs which is about the same weight as a standard 14" laptop without the charger. The device also has a built-in handle, making it a breeze to carry wherever you write best.
- What are the dimensions of the Freewrite?
- The Freewrite’s footprint is roughly 12” x 9.5”. At its thickest, the Freewrite is almost 3”, but tapers down toward the keyboard.
- When will my Freewrite be shipped?
- Orders shipping to destinations in the United States are shipped from our fulfillment center in Los Angeles, usually the same day if they are received by 5pm EST. International orders ship from Hong Kong and are typically shipped within 48 hours. For questions, please email email@example.com.
- How long will it take to receive my Freewrite?
- All orders, international and domestic, should expect to reach their destination between 5-7 business days. Some international orders require pickup from your local customs office but these customers typically know who they are. We will work with the shipper and you to try and get your order to you as quickly as possible.
- Can I cancel my order?
- If paid in full, orders cancelled before shipment will be refunded 100%. If paid in installments using FuturePay, cancelled orders will be refunded the full amount less 5% non-refundable credit fee. Payments can be made in full using a credit card or via installments through FuturePay or PayPal Credit.
- Does the Freewrite ship internationally?
- Yes, we will ship to any country as long as we are legally able to do so (Sorry North Koreans!).
- Will I need to pay taxes or duties upon receipt of my package?
- Customers inside the US will not need to pay any additional taxes or duties. Some other countries do charge taxes or duties to import goods. If your country charges duties/taxes, the shipping courier (DHL, FEDEX, UPS, or other) will contact you and make arrangements for you to make payment to your federal/state customs agency.
- What is the return policy on the Freewrite & other Astrohaus Products?
- Our policy lasts 30 days. If 30 days have gone by since your purchase, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange. To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. It must also be in the original packaging. If the item was opened, the return will be subject to a 5% inspection and restocking fee. Please read policy in its entirety: Return Policy
- Does the Freewrite have a warranty?
- For all products made by Astrohaus, we warrant them to be free of defects in parts, materials, and workmanship for a period of 90 days from date of shipment. For all products NOT made by Astrohaus, the original manufacturers warranty applies unless otherwise specified. Please read policy in its entirety: Return Policy.
- What languages does the Freewrite support?
- At the time of this writing, we have committed support for the following languages: Currently Available: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese, Colemak (EN), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Dvorak (EN), English Int, French, French (Belgium), French (Canada), French (Swiss), German, German (Neo), Greek (Modern), Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish Coming Soon: Hungarian. Write to us at Hello@astrohaus.com if your language isnt currently supported.
- Where do I select the language of my Freewrite?
- You do not need to be choose your language at time of buying a Freewrite. You are able to add additional languages, from the above selection, to your device in your device settings.
- What does it mean to support a language?
- This means that you will be able to type in any of the supported languages. All of the characters you need will be available on the keyboard in their usual places and will be displayed on the screen in the correct manner, as if you had a native keyboard. For example, German writers will have ä ö ü ß and Russian writers will have з ф в б ж, etc. You will be able to choose one or many of the supported languages via our web application to configure your Freewrite.
- Can I switch between languages?
- Yes, once you select your languages via the web application, there will be a keyboard shortcut that will cycle your available languages on the Freewrite.
- Will my keyboard match my language?
- This is where it gets tricky, we will only be shipping the keyboards with standard QWERTY markings on the key caps. This means that if you write primarily in a language other than English, the letters written on your key caps will not match the letter that is output when you depress that key. However, for most people this is not a big problem and for others, it is easily remedied.
For touch typists, you will probably not care what the key caps say because you won't be looking at the keys anyway. For those that want the markings on the keys, we will soon be selling keycap sets in a limited number of languages. That way you can have the great look and feel of a Freewrite keyboard in your native language!
- My language is not on the list, what should I do?
- Tell us! Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know which languages you would like to see supported.
- Does the Freewrite provide products to schools?
- We are actively working with educators to bring Freewrites into schools. For all educational inquiries, please contact Adam@Astrohaus.com